Q. Why did my wife and I start experiencing heartburn suddenly two weeks back?

Dr. Habeeb Abdulrasheed

My wife and I both started experiencing heartburn two weeks ago. It began at the same time for both of us. I had taken Pantoprazole for a year, and it has kept me in a good place related to heartburn. I also use Simvastatin and Losartan. Could we have contracted some bacteria causing this sudden issue? What should we do? Could you please advise us on this?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Food poisoning in the form of bacterial ingestion does not typically give this kind of symptom. Most likely, you have gastroesophageal reflux disease. It may be from acid reflux from your stomach to your lower esophagus, especially when you lay on a flat surface after eating. I would suggest you get these tests, such as the urea breath test and upper gastrointestinal tract endoscopy. The differential diagnosis could be a peptic ulcer disease. I would advise you to take suspension Magnesium Trisilicate or any other antacid whenever you have these symptoms. Revert with the result of the investigations above. Also, avoid lying flat immediately after eating.

I hope this will help you.

Thank you for your response.

This diagnosis makes sense in most cases, but my wife and I had it parallelly the same day, and it has lasted for about two weeks. Your diagnosis is what I have always had, so I use Pantoprazole for it. However, this is different. Would you please give me your opinion on this?

#

If both of you have the same symptoms at the same time, it may not be possible that this could be an episode of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or a peptic ulcer disease (PUD). In this case, the right thing to do is to get a urea breath test and then an upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy. This will confirm the diagnosis and direct us to the appropriate next line of management. For now, continue your antacid and Pantoprazole for another two weeks and get back to me with the results of the investigations performed.

|