Q. What is the small fleshy growth in my anus?

Dr. Arvind Guru
Published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

I am a 19 year old female with no past medical history. I experienced constipation for some days, and I saw blood in my stools. I found this small fleshy growth on the anus, which hurts after passing motion. The pain ceases after a few hours. This fleshy growth retracts inside when I contract the surrounding muscles, but it comes out when I relax. It does not cause any pain during other times. I am attaching a picture of this fleshy growth. Please help.

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

I have seen your attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It shows old hemorrhoids called as skin tags. This picture, along with the pain that you are describing is suggestive of anal fissure. This is a tear in the wall of the anus, at the base of these skin tags. Here is what you need to do:

1. Heal the fissure.
  2. Cure constipation.
  3. Prevent these from happening again.

To heal the fissure, do sitz bath. Take lukewarm water in a medium sized tub, put two teaspoons of ordinary salt per liter of water. Total 10 g salt per liter of water. Now sit in this water and try to push out on the anus. Try to make the water clean and sooth your anal region. Sit for around 15 minutes, 3 to 4 times every day for a month or so. Try to do this at least twice per day if you are working professional. It will decrease pain, itching, and help to heal the fissure. Do these for around 6 to 8 weeks.

For pain relief during passing stools as well as healing of the fissure, I suggest the following or equivalent generic combinations for at least three weeks, after that only sitz bath should be enough:

1. Ointment Diltiazem 2 %, 10 minutes before passing stools and three times a day. It comes with an applicator that goes around 1 to 2 cm inside the anus. It relaxes the anal muscle so that the blood supply to the torn area improves, and it heals faster.
  2. Ointment Prilox (Prilocaine 25 mg and Lidocaine 25 mg), five minutes before passing stools. This one is only for pain relief. Take a peanut size of ointment and apply with a finger at the opening. Though mostly safe, both these medications can have side effects in some patients, so stop usage if you feel dizzy, nervousness, or have blurring of vision.

For constipation, I suggest you try the following:

1. Consume high-fiber diet for long-term control. Eat a large platter of vegetable salad with or as a replacement for lunch or dinner. You can take sprouts of legumes as part of breakfast. Whole cereal or whole wheat flour for bread.
  2. Isabgol (Psyllium husk), 2 to 3 teaspoons twice a day, in milk, curd, or flavored drink powder at bedtime. You can grind it to a powder in your mixer to make it more palatable.
  3. If you do not have any kidney or heart disease, then take 3 to 4 liters of water every day. Keep on drinking at short intervals throughout the day.

Curing constipation treats these and also prevents these from troubling again. Some people need surgical treatment for bleeding hemorrhoids, but only if dietary measures are not effective in controlling the problem.

I hope that helps. Kindly leave feedback. Follow-up if you need any more information.

For more information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

Can an anal fissure heal on its own?

Query: Hi doctor, After passing stool yesterday, I noticed bright red blood on the toilet paper after wiping. Now today after passing stool, I noticed a bit of bright red blood on the toilet seat, but not in the stool and a bit when wiping. I am suffering from a bit of pain when this happens, and the bleed...  Read Full >>

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Your symptoms are consistent with anal fissure. Yes, fissure will heal on its own, provided it will get a proper environment. An anal fissure can be prevented by avoiding constipation. Because constipation will produce more pressure on...  Read Full

I have this on my penis and inner thigh. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have these on my penis, ears and inner thigh. I have had them for over 10 years and they did not get red or inflamed. Also, you cannot pick them off. I am married and it did not get spread to my wife. What is it?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please upload a picture? So that, I can review it. They may be simple skin tags, but it is hard to tell without a picture. Please also share if you have any history of STD (sexually transmitted disease) in the past and if you were tested for any recentl...  Read Full

Why do I have vaginal tears after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had rough sex recently and it caused a tear in my vagina. When I use a mirror to examine myself I can see some of the cuts. It is near the entrance of my vaginal canal but not inside, positioned more towards my perineum. It has been healing for two days now and still really hurts. I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Small superficial tears generally heal fast. Continue taking sitz bath with Betadine drops, Ibuprofen for pain but instead of Vaseline, apply some antiseptic ointment. Vaseline prevents raw ends to meet. Medical support is required, only if you develop pus, odor, discha...  Read Full

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now