Q. I am on vitamin B12 supplement and current level in blood is six times higher than normal. Why?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I recently had a blood test and was found to have a B12 content nearly six times higher than 10 months ago of about 1700. I have been taking B12 supplements for about six months, which I have now stopped. Could the supplement (2000 mg/day) be the cause of the hike or is there an underlying issue?

Do you have a question on High Vitamin B12 or Myeloproliferative Neoplasm?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D
Hematology Pathology

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

The very common cause for elevated B 12 is the B 12 supplement or injection intake. So in your case, high B 12 might be due to B 12 supplement intake. Hence it is advisable to stop B 12 supplement now. However, other causes also should be screened like myeloproliferative neoplasm and liver or kidney disease. For myeloproliferative neoplasm, you need to investigate with full CBC (complete blood count) and peripheral smear examination report.

To rule out kidney and liver disease, you need to investigate with sgpt and serum urea, creatinine estimation. In liver or kidney disease, B 12 metabolism and excretion is affected. So you should rule it out. Finally, I want to tell you that B 12 is water-soluble vitamin and so if the kidney is functioning well then it can be excreted in the urine. I hope I have answered your question and will be beneficial to you as well. I am glad to help you further if needed.

Vitamin B12 level is high in a diabetic patient. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I am 60, weight is 44 kg, height is 5.6, diabetes for past 25 years, on low carbohydrate diet for 80 days, taking no medicine for diabetes now. Sugar levels are under control, checking every day. The problem from past 50 days is that there are feet and ankle swelling that disappears i...  Read Full >>
Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. High vitamin B12 can result from multiple causes. Since your liver function test, kidney function test, peripheral blood smear, etc., are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity), we can rule out these as the cause. Other causes like diabetes (which you h...  Read Full

Can I take Hydroxyurea for thrombocythemia?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I have been diagnosed with essential thrombocythemia. The reasons are elevated platelet count (about 700,000 to 900,000 platelets per microliter of blood), positive JAK2 V617F mutation analysis, etc. There are different opinions coming from doctors in my country. Av...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation through which you are going. I have reviewed your query and below is my advice for your case. Usually, in case of essential thrombocythemia, there is no need to undergo treatment with Hydroxyurea in all case of ET. It is myeloprolifera...  Read Full

My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?
Query: Hi doctor, As I took master health blood test and in the result, my vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it? I am afraid of this. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly provide me any other clinical complaint if you have. Kindly mention whether you have taken any vitamin B12 supplement or tablet or injection? Attach your all reports to give more comment. Usually, liver disease, kidney disease, B12 intake, myeloproliferative n...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now