Q. I am on vitamin B12 supplement and current level in blood is six times higher than normal. Why?

Published on Aug 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2019

I recently had a blood test and was found to have a B12 content nearly six times higher than 10 months ago of about 1700. I have been taking B12 supplements for about six months, which I have now stopped. Could the supplement (2000 mg/day) be the cause of the hike or is there an underlying issue?

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

The very common cause for elevated B 12 is the B 12 supplement or injection intake. So in your case, high B 12 might be due to B 12 supplement intake. Hence it is advisable to stop B 12 supplement now. However, other causes also should be screened like myeloproliferative neoplasm and liver or kidney disease. For myeloproliferative neoplasm, you need to investigate with full CBC (complete blood count) and peripheral smear examination report.

To rule out kidney and liver disease, you need to investigate with sgpt and serum urea, creatinine estimation. In liver or kidney disease, B 12 metabolism and excretion is affected. So you should rule it out. Finally, I want to tell you that B 12 is water-soluble vitamin and so if the kidney is functioning well then it can be excreted in the urine. I hope I have answered your question and will be beneficial to you as well. I am glad to help you further if needed.

| 

Do my reports suggest leukemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 36 years old female. I got my precautionary health checkup done. I have enclosed the report. My internet search about the result indicates that I may have early stage leukemia (cancer). Please advise.  Read Full »

Can I take Hydroxyurea for thrombocythemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I have been diagnosed with essential thrombocythemia. The reasons are elevated platelet count (about 700,000 to 900,000 platelets per microliter of blood), positive JAK2 V617F mutation analysis, etc. There are different opinions coming from doctors in my country. Av...  Read Full »

Do increased levels of RBC and vitamin B12 indicate early onset polycythemia vera?

Query: Hi doctor, My RBC levels have been slightly elevated for the past six months. It was 5.17 a year back, and a couple of months back it was 5.39. I noticed that from the last two years, the RBC count has been borderline high. Last week my vitamin B12 was tested due to a nerve issue in my face, which ...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now