Q. Will complete blood count show HIV infection?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
Published on Dec 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

Will complete blood count test show HIV infection? Will the WBC be increased or decreased?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

• WBC (white blood cells) increase or decrease in the complete blood count can tell about a presence of infection, whether viral or bacterial, but it cannot specify which organism is causing it. In other words, increase or decrease in the counts can occur in numerous conditions, but which particular condition is there it cannot be specified.
  • To diagnose HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), one needs to be tested by serology, which can be done by a rapid or ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test.

Hope your query is answered, but if you have any other question, please do not hesitate to ask or call anytime. Best wishes.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Thank you for replying. My WBC has always increased and decreased, but I have never cared about it. I got an HIV test also, which was negative. So, I need not be worried, right? Is increase and decrease of WBC an indication of a disease, even if HIV test is negative? Are these HIV tests reliable?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

• You have not provided any information about the exposure. The test might require a repetition, but the details provided by you were incomplete. Please get back with complete information and also you can attach your reports for interpretation.

Best wishes.

Revert with more information to an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Thank you for the reply. Last year, I had a client in my office, who was HIV positive. I was scared that I might have got infected by him, through drinking water contaminated by him. Or I feel that what if a little of his blood got into the water that I drank. So, I got an HIV third generation test after three months, which was negative. And after five months, I got an HIV fourth generation test, which was also negative. Then a doctor suggested that there is no need to get another HIV test done if there was no sexual exposure. Do I need to be scared? Do I have to get tested again? So far, I have done four HIV tests, which were all negative.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

• With these details, you do not require any HIV testing. Just relax. Best wishes.

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full »

Is the HIV RNA test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full »

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now