Q. Can mere kissing lead to getting infected with HIV?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

I am a 21-year-old homosexual male. I am not sexually active. However, I kissed someone for 30 minutes. He told me he was healthy. However, I am not sure of his HIV status or if he was on any medications. I suffered mild gingivitis after the event, however, I brushed an hour before. I did not have any noticeable bleeding. I am extremely worried that I could have contracted HIV from the other person's mouth if he had gingivitis. I am so concerned I am taking a rapid HIV test tomorrow which makes the exposure four weeks old. I am on antibiotics for my gingivitis which has now cleared up. I am not sure if it was gingivitis or a throat infection as I was able to bring the tiny spectacles of blood from my throat though now it is gone. Please help.

#

Firstly, your risk is unwarranted in this case.

To the best of my knowledge, as per published literature, there is no case reported of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) through kissing.

Saliva itself has very low concentrations of HIV and also contains anti-HIV factors that prevent transmission.

However, theoretically, there can be a risk if there is a presence of blood in the mouth of the other person like in the case if there is an active bleeding gums or sores or ulcers.

It is good that your HIV test result at four weeks of exposure is negative.

I suggest you get a confirmatory test at three months of last exposure.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|