Q. I am not sick four years after exposure, but my CD4 count is high. Why?

Dr. Kakkar

I have a hypothetical question. Suppose I was one of the rare people who is incapable of producing antibodies to HIV-2. What would you expect my CD4 count to be after four years? And how sick would I be?

#

I have noted your concern.

Antibodies against HIV are not a very effective defense against this virus and though they may initially contribute in keeping the virus under check they eventually fail to do so. So your CD4 count would be lower than if you had antibodies against HIV and obviously it would imply that there would be a greater risk of opportunistic infections. Regards.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

So, I can believe my negative tests? Because I am not sick four years after exposure and I have a high CD4 count, 1100. And if I had HIV-2 with no antibodies after four years I would probably be very sick. Is that correct?

#

Yes, I believe that is true.

I would like to know, when was your last 4th generation HIV screening test after your exposure?

What was the nature of exposure? Was it sexual? Protected or unprotected? Regards.

Revert with more information to an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Dear doctor,

My latest fourth generation test was 1.5 years after a brief (less than 5 seconds) clitoral oral sex exposure with a female. I also had 1 rna hiv2 test, (negative), 1 proviral DNA HIV 2 test, (also negative), and 2 HIV 1 RNA tests (negative) all done 1.5 years post exposure.

#

A 4th generation HIV screening test is considered conclusive after 12 weeks or three months after a risk exposure by most STD specialists. It tests for both HIV type 1 and 2 antibodies as well as HIV type-1 P24 antigen. So, you need not worry about HIV as that has been convincingly ruled out. Regards.

| 

Is it possible to have hairy leukoplakia three months after risky sexual activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male who discovered this lesion on my tongue by accident while brushing my teeth. It does not come off easily with the toothbrush. Actually, it does not, unless I apply significant force to remove it. It has been a month since I first discovered it and no other symp...  Read Full »

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

Can anal sex with HIV positive person transmit HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor,My partner is HIV positive. We had anal rubbing, but we used protection (condom). Also, there was no discharge and not even precum. The anus was also dry during that time. What is the chance of me getting affected?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now