Q. Can you please analyze my HIV RNA PCR test report?

Published on Jul 12, 2017

I have done the RNA PCR test (viral load test) done from a lab here. I am attaching the report. Kindly let me now the status of the report.

#

I have gone through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The report suggests that you have a negligible amount of hepatitis B viral load and the interpretation is negative. It means that you do not need medication for treatment. Only symptomatic treatment is required.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

But, what do you mean by symptomatic treatment? Can you explain?

#

• Since you have carried out viral load test you must be suffering from hepatitis. If the viral load is large, medications are required in the treatment. Otherwise, dietary changes are sufficient to treat it.

That is alright. But, this viral load test was for HIV screening. As per the report, it is negative. Am I correct?

#

• Since HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is transmitted through blood, and so is hepatitis B virus, the screening of HBV (hepatitis B virus) is also mandatory along with HIV testing.
  • As per the report, the viral load is negligible. So, you are not a carrier of hepatitis B virus.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full »