Q. How long should I wait to detect HIV and STD in urine?

Dr. C Elanchezhian
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 21, 2019

I had forced gay sex before 17 days. I had an HIV rapid test after six days of having sex, and the result was negative. Am I prone to HIV and STD's? How long it takes to detect HIV and STD in urine test after exposure?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Good, you have done a rapid HIV test, and it is negative. But normal results are negative. This means that no antibodies were found and that you may not be infected with HIV. Most people who become infected with HIV will develop antibodies to the virus within two months. During this time, you may have an HIV test, but this test cannot detect it.

You will have to repeat the test more than three months after your possible exposure if your results are negative. Better do ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) for HIV, and VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory), TPHA (Treponema pallidum hemagglutination assay), and HBsAg (surface antigen of hepatitis B virus) for STD. If possible, investigate your sex partner also.

It was not wanted sex. It was an assault. Before two days, I had a master health check-up. How long does it take to detect STD in a urine test after exposure?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Urine test only rules out chlamydia and gonorrhea. It can remain in the body for weeks, months, and even years without showing symptoms. Only ELISA helps in the detection of HIV.

My question is that in health check-up they check for Chlamydia and gonorrhea. How long does it take to detect those STD using urine test after exposure?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

It will take one week to ten days to get the result.

I am not asking about the result. As my exposure was before 17 days, will these STDs be detected in my urine test? I had my health check-up two days before. Will the urine test detect these STDs if I have it as the window period is only 15 days.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

As I told you urine test show only chlamydia and gonorrhea and not syphilis. This will show positive even up to six months. But for HIV window period is within three months of infection.

What is the window period for chlamydia and gonorrhea, and when should I go for the test?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

There is no window period for chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Will chlamydia and gonorrhea get detected as early after exposure?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Yes, immediately it will show. It will be there for up to three months if not treated.

How long it takes for the symptoms to show up?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Symptoms can appear anywhere from 1 to 14 days following exposure to the infection.

Please tell me some basic symptoms.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

You had sex in anal so itching, soreness, white discharge, and bleeding from the anus can be the symptoms.

Will these symptoms appear in all cases?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

No, only those who are infected will have at least one or all symptoms.

If there are no symptoms, then am I free from them? Are STDs curable and how long does it take to cure?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Except HIV, all other infections are curable.

1. First for gonorrhea take tablet Norflox 800 mg (Norfloxacin) only once.
  2. For chlamydia take tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for three days.
  3. For syphilis Penicillin injection will be helpful. Ask your doctor regarding dose.
  4. For HIV, see the lab report and take respective treatment.

Some times I am feeling itching down the penis. Is it due to sweat or any disease?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Do you have itching continuously or occasionally? If itching is more wash with little salt water.

I have itching occasionally. How long does it take to cure chlamydia and gonorrhea

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Gonorrhea usually takes one day, whereas chlamydia takes three days to get cured.

Is unprotected sex on the fifth day of period safe?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex on the fifth day of my last periods and he pulled out on time. It has been 35 days and I have not got my periods. Is there any chance of getting pregnant?  Read Full »

Can unprotected sex on third day of period cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had unprotected sex on the third day of her period. I did not ejaculate inside her. And she also has the history of an irregular period but from the past three months, she is getting her regular period. I just want to know what are the chances of pregnancy.  Read Full »

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »