Q. I have done testing for HIV on 45, 75 and 96 days post exposure. Do I need to test further?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I have an HIV test done at 45 days, 75 days, and 96 days. All are negative. Test I underwent is tridot antibody test. Is it conclusive? Or do I need to test more?

CDC guidelines say conclusive at 90 days. So do I want to reconfirm? I tested at two famous labs which is NABL accredited. Do I need to test further? Kindly solve this query.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

It is good that your 96 days post exposure test is negative. The answer to your queries are:

If the last unprotected exposure was 96 days ago only and there had been no further exposure, your test would be considered conclusive in that scenario. But if there had been further exposure, you need to undergo a repeat test. The recommendations are to get tested at four weeks post-exposure by a fourth-generation HIV rapid test and if the result is negative, get tested by the HIV antibody test at 90 days post-exposure.

If the lab was NABL accredited, you need not repeat the test. There is no such recommendation for testing from two different labs. A repeat test is only advised if there is no NABL accredition or a doubtful test report.

| 

I had protected intercourse in mid-March 2020. Though blowjobs did were unprotected. I got a bit swelling in one testicle in April and GP gave me 14 days course for Doxycycline. Ofloxacin, and Azithromycin. I got fine in 10 days. Now I have no problem. Though he asked me to do an HIV test, herpes IgG, IgM 1 and 2 and VDRL tests. I did all test which are all negative at 96 days. Do I need to do anything else? Please guide.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

If the condom was used consistently and correctly during intercourse, it would be considered as protected sex and the risk of acquisition of HIV in such a case is nonexistent.

Unprotected oral carries a low risk of acquisition of HIV especially if there are active oral gum bleed or ulcers in the mouth. But, the good point in your case is that your 90 days post-exposure test is negative. You can surely relax if there had been no further exposure post mid-March 2020. It is again good that herpes and VDRL are also negative.

Antibiotic course given to you was also effective for various STIs (sexually transmitted infections). So again a plus point in your scenario. I suggest you undergo HBsAg (Hepatitis B infection) and anti HCV test (hepatitis C infection) also if these have not been done. These can also be transmitted through unprotected sexual contact.

| 

I have done hepatitis B and C tests and both are non-reactive. Last exposure was in mid-March 2020 and no exposure post that. So all tests HIV antibody test, VDRL, herpes, and hepatitis are all negative. All reports attached.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Welcome back toicliniq.com.

It is good that your test results are negative for various STIs including HIV (post 96 days of exposure). You can surely relax if there is no further exposure. Take precautions in the future.

|