Q. Is HIV test a fasting or non-fasting test?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
Published on Mar 11, 2018

Dear doctor,

Which is the primary blood test for HIV? Is it fasting or nonfasting? I want to get tested for a routine checkup.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

The recommended primary test for HIV detection is the fourth generation HIV rapid test.

You need not be fasting for this test.

If there is a recent exposure and the test result comes negative, a confirmatory test needs to be done at three months of last exposure.

Please revert if you require any further information.

Best wishes.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

But, this test may not be available in the town where I live. So, please can you recommend any other common blood test for HIV? Is it fasting or nonfasting?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

HIV Rapid test kits are available in all accredited labs. It is available by the name of HIV-1 and 2 rapid antibody test. This test is even available free of cost at integrated counseling testing center (ICTC) which is located in all cities in the civil hospitals.

If you do not want to get it done from these in labs, it can be available by the name of:

HIV CMIA combo test, HIV DUO test, SD bio line for HIV 1 and 2 or HIV-1 and 2 tridot test. As I mentioned earlier you need not be fasting for this test.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

What is HIV spot test? How much ml of blood is drawn for this test? In my lab, they have written in their list that HIV test is available. Is it fasting or non-fasting?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

HIV spot test is a rapid HIV antibody test. The result is available in less than twenty minutes. Less than 1 ml of blood is required.

It can be performed even with a drop of blood drawn by finger prick method. It can be taken non-fasting.

Please revert anytime for any further information.

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Below are the specific answers for your questions. CMIA is based on chemiluminescence principle and it is performed on an automated analyzer. It is the most effective technique nowadays to rule out HIV. CMIA can almost 100 % rule out HIV after 90 days of exposure. Usua...  Read Full

I took CMIA test 100 days after unprotected sex. Is it conclusive for HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I had unprotected sex with a sex worker five months back. After that every month I have taken CMIA fourth generation test. After almost 100 days, I took WB test. Then today I took again CMIA test. It is all negative but every month the index values are getting increased from 0.10 to now...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The HIV tests are repeatedly negative and after three months exposure. It is conclusive. You are free from HIV. There is no need for further HIV tests.The symptoms are non-specific and are not related to HIV. For more information consult a community medicine physician ...  Read Full

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has comp...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now