Q. My HIV 1 and 2 rapid tests are non-reactive on 97th day. Do I need further tests?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2020

I did an HIV card test on 85th day after unprotected sex and it was negative. Again I went for HIV 1 and 2 rapid test on 97th day. It came non-reactive. Do I need any further test after six months? Or is it conclusive?

#

The chances of transmission of HIV by unprotected sex with an HIV positive person is very low. The negative HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure is conclusive provided there is no further risk exposure. There is no need for further HIV tests.

Why do some articles suggest a retest after six months? I am getting anxious.

#

HIV antibodies are formed within two to six weeks post-exposure. Still there is leverage given until three months. Earlier concept was six months. Now it is considered three months post-exposure HIV antibodies test negative results as conclusive.

Do not worry. Just relax and forget about the episode. Get involved in activities of your interest. Do yoga, meditation, and exercises.

Does just putting the tip of the penis a few millimeters inside the vagina be risky for HIV transmission? (no full penetration). I had this kind of unprotected sex for a few seconds along with some genital rubbing? Please explain.

#

Intact skin is an effective barrier to HIV. If the skin of both is intact when in contact there is no chance of transmission. Otherwise, there is a possibility of transmission if one of them is positive. If infective fluids, semen or blood comes in contact with breach in skin or mucus membrane also then the transmission is possible.

No semen discharge. As I already explained, I inserted my penis only a few millimeters in and out (not even full intercourse) for a single time. Will it be counted as an exposure? Also, what about the risk from vaginal secretions?

#

The transmission chances in your scenario is almost nil. Remote possibilities may be there because of contact with secretion. Anyway, if your HIV antibodies test is negative after three months exposure you are free from HIV.

I had vaginal intercourse with the same partner (we both had tested non-reactive after three months of last exposure). I think I had pulled out before ejaculation but maybe a few drops of semen could have gone in. Any risk of HIV or pregnancy? Please help.

#

If you had intercourse between the 9th and 21st day of her menstrual cycles, there are chances of pregnancy (if her previous cycles are regular). If both are HIV negative and both do not have any other risk exposure, there is no chance of HIV transmission.

But will a drop of semen cause pregnancy? We had non-reactive HIV reports on the 98th day of last exposure by tridot rapid test. Also, I myself had a urine test for other STD, but the doctor had told me all are normal. It is a bit confusing right now. Please advise.

#

If you had intercourse between the 9th and 21st days of her menstrual cycles, there are chances of pregnancy (if her previous cycles are regular). If beyond that period there is no chance.

STD (sexually transmitted disease) is not possible if both do not have and not having multiple partners risk.

|