Q. How to get the glucose and lipid readings back to normal while doing LCHF diet?

Dr. Deep Dutta
Published on Oct 10, 2017

I am a 54 year old male, and I do not smoke or drink. I am prediabetic and overweight from the past five years. I have started LCHF (low carb high fat) and IF (intermediate fasting) diet for seven weeks. This has given very good results, I was 100 kg, and now I weigh 90 kg. And my blood pressure is also back to normal. I feel highly energetic. Today, on getting myself tested for blood glucose and lipid profile, I got very strange results. My fasting glucose is 86 mg/dL, postprandial glucose is 152 mg/dL, total cholesterol is 210, triglycerides is 112, HDL is 34, LDL is 175, VLDL is 22.4, total cholesterol/HDL ratio is 6.2. Though these readings look very strange and abnormal, I am feeling very fit and energetic after changing over to LCHF diet and intermediate fasting. How to get the glucose and lipid readings in the normal range while continuing the new diet? I was feeling lazy from the last four years, which was rectified with the new diet and fasting.

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• LCHF diet is a good short-term option for weight loss. But it is not a good option for long-term weight loss. Prolonged use of this diet is associated with increased risk of hypercholesterolemia and fatty liver disease, which limits their long-term use.
  • Based on your metabolic profile, I suggest you start taking the following: Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Tablet Glucomin Plus (Metformin and Glibenclamide) 500 mg, one tablet after dinner. It will control prediabetes and prevent diabetes.
  2. Tablet Atocor (Atorvastatin) 20 mg, one tablet after dinner to control your hypercholesterolemia.
  • I suggest you get the following test done:
  1. Repeat lipid profile after three months.
  2. Fasting and postprandial glucose monthly.
  3. HbA1C, once in three months.
  4. Ultrasonography of the abdomen, to rule out the fatty liver disease.
  5. Serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D.
  • Review with reports.

Revert with more information to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Kindly give your inputs regarding my annual health report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have done a health checkup and I like to get your inputs regarding the report. Thanks in advance.  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any symptoms or risk factors like family history of illness? What is your job profile? Do you drink or smoke? How much active is your lifestyle? Do you have any recent history of fever and joint pains? Are you a vegetarian? Revert back with more details as abo...  Read Full

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exercise or ...  Read Full

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now