Q. I keep switching between under and overactive thyroid functions. Why?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Hello doctor,

I am a 35 year old male. I had a hyperthyroid since the last five years and was taking Carbimazole 5 mg thrice a day for the last two and a half years. Then, last month, I got my complete physical test done, and I got to know that my hyperthyroid had shifted to hypothyroid. So, the doctor put me on 25 mg of Eltroxin (Thyroxine sodium). Now, I just got another test done, and I am probably back to hyper as per the reports, and the doctor has stopped my medicine for a month. Please advise. What is wrong with my thyroid?

#

I just read your query about your thyroid dysfunction and saw your reports in detail (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It appears that you were diagnosed with hyperthyroidism initially and were treated accordingly. The problem occurred when you had a slightly high TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and the doctor put you on Eltroxin 25 mcg. It is not recommended according to the recent guidelines to start treatment for hypothyroidism at the level which was noted in your case. It would have been better to have a wait and watch approach and then start it.
  • The thyroid dysfunction, particularly hyperthyroidism, has to one day ultimately turn to Euthyroidism (normal) or hypothyroidism (under functioning) due to the treatment. So, that is not something unusual.
  • The current plan is to wait for another four weeks and repeat your thyroid function test again.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Goodluck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|