Q. With TSH between 6 and 8. 9 and FT4 of 1. 3, is it justified to prescribe Timazol or Carbimazole?

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 14, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

With TSH between 6 and 8.9 (today 7.5) and FT4 of 1.3 (normal), is it justified to prescribe Timazol or Carbimazole (both for hyperthyroidism cure)?

#

With the given values, there is no need for these drugs.

But in this scenario, I do not have any idea about the current prescriptions you are taking.

So, with that information and lipid profile reports, I will be happy to guide you better.

I thought TSH above 5 is indicative of hypothyroidism. But the pills given are for hyperthyroidism. Please find the test results and let us know if it is justified to take hyperthyroidism treatment. I think the doctor got confused with the high level of TSH with overproductive thyroid. Please help.

#

Thank you for the information.If the FT3 and FT4 levels are normal and TSH is elevated marginally. This is known as subclinical hypothyroidism.Two approaches:

1. No drugs now - observe and recheck thyroid profile after three months and decide.2. Starting on a low dose of Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) 25 mcg once a day in the morning (empty stomach) and do thyroid profile test after three months. If found to be normal, this dosage has to be continued.

The drugs for hyperthyroidism should not be given at this moment.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|