Q. With TSH between 6 and 8. 9 and FT4 of 1. 3, is it justified to prescribe Timazol or Carbimazole?

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar
Published on Oct 14, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2018

With TSH between 6 and 8.9 (today 7.5) and FT4 of 1.3 (normal), is it justified to prescribe Timazol or Carbimazole (both for hyperthyroidism cure)?

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

Surgical Gastroenterology
#

With the given values, there is no need for these drugs.

But in this scenario, I do not have any idea about the current prescriptions you are taking.

So, with that information and lipid profile reports, I will be happy to guide you better.

| 

I thought TSH above 5 is indicative of hypothyroidism. But the pills given are for hyperthyroidism. Please find the test results and let us know if it is justified to take hyperthyroidism treatment. I think the doctor got confused with the high level of TSH with overproductive thyroid. Please help.

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

Surgical Gastroenterology
#

Thank you for the information.If the FT3 and FT4 levels are normal and TSH is elevated marginally. This is known as subclinical hypothyroidism.Two approaches:

1. No drugs now - observe and recheck thyroid profile after three months and decide.2. Starting on a low dose of Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) 25 mcg once a day in the morning (empty stomach) and do thyroid profile test after three months. If found to be normal, this dosage has to be continued.

The drugs for hyperthyroidism should not be given at this moment.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

My blood report shows some abnormalities. How can they be corrected?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetic patient and I take Cetapin XR 1000 twice a day but, due to some irregularity and working stress my fasting sugar is now 140. In my test report, some other abnormalities were also present, which I have mentioned below: Triglyceride: 151 Cholesterol HDL direct: 35 Cholest...  Read Full »

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now