Q. With TSH between 6 and 8. 9 and FT4 of 1. 3, is it justified to prescribe Timazol or Carbimazole?

Answered by
Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 14, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Hello doctor,

With TSH between 6 and 8.9 (today 7.5) and FT4 of 1.3 (normal), is it justified to prescribe Timazol or Carbimazole (both for hyperthyroidism cure)?



Welcome to

With the given values, there is no need for these drugs.

But in this scenario, I do not have any idea about the current prescriptions you are taking.

So, with that information and lipid profile reports, I will be happy to guide you better.

Hello doctor,

I thought TSH above 5 is indicative of hypothyroidism. But the pills given are for hyperthyroidism. Please find the test results and let us know if it is justified to take hyperthyroidism treatment. I think the doctor got confused with the high level of TSH with overproductive thyroid. Please help.



Welcome back to

Thank you for the information.If the FT3 and FT4 levels are normal and TSH is elevated marginally. This is known as subclinical hypothyroidism.Two approaches:

1. No drugs now - observe and recheck thyroid profile after three months and decide.2. Starting on a low dose of Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) 25 mcg once a day in the morning (empty stomach) and do thyroid profile test after three months. If found to be normal, this dosage has to be continued.

The drugs for hyperthyroidism should not be given at this moment.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask an endocrinologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?

.. lot for such a detailed history, it makes my job easier. I would want to know what was the result of the biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). Based on that, I shall be in a better position to tell you the next step. Your thyroid is ...   Read full

My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypothyroidism ... I just read each one of your test results and from what it reads, it appears that you are slightly over corrected for ...   Read full

What does my low AMH level indicate?

You are suffering from hyperprolactinemia and borderline subclinical hypothyroidism ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.