Q. I have thyroid, irregular period and pregnancy test negative. What can it be?

Dr. Garima Sawhney
Published on Nov 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

I am a 24 year old lady and married. I have thyroid and irregular period sometimes. For thyroid, I am taking Eltroxin 75 mcg and I am in control. It has been two months since, I last got my period. We used condom while having sex. For three days, I had light cramps on and off in lower abdomen. Since two days, I am having nauseous feeling. Took a home pregnancy test and got negative result. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Irregular periods are not only be associated with thyroid but few other conditions too. Check this time for your periods. Suppose, you are still not getting, but having nauseous feeling and vomiting sensation, then I would suggest you to get a beta-hCG test done to rule out pregnancy.

Beta-hCG test is a blood test carried out that gives more confirmatory and accurate results even after home pregnancy test is found to be negative. No matter whether the results of beta-hCG is found to be positive or negative, I would recommend you to get an ultrasound of pelvis done.

If the ultrasound scan shows negative result, we can rule out the possibility of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). If the ultrasound scan turns out to be positive, we can know the pregnancy details. Medicine to get periods can be prescribed if pregnancy is ruled out.

1. Beta-hCG and
2. Ultrasound of pelvis.

Follow up with reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist physician online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I consulted a gynecologist yesterday. She did not suggest any test. Instead, she asked to me take Meprate 10 mg for 5 days and told I will get my periods once I stop the tablet. But, I have a feeling that I am pregnant. My main concern is, will there be any side effects on my pregnancy, if I take the tablet? Can beta hCG done without any prescription in any diagnostic centre?

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

First, I would suggest you to get a beta-hCG test done to rule out pregnancy. If pregnancy is ruled out, then you can take tablet Meprate 10 mg (Medroxyprogesterone acetate) as advised to get your periods.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I am facing irregular periods from one year. Tell me some ayurvedic remedies.

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing irregular periods problem from one year (since I took I-pill). I took I-pill in fear of getting pregnant although I did not have sex till now. I am still a virgin, but physically active with my boyfriend. I am putting on weight due to irregular periods and stomach disturba...  Read Full »

My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipatio...  Read Full »

Suffering from irregular periods and not conceiving. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of irregular periods and now I am failing to get pregnant. To highlight about my past, I started having my periods from the age of 14 and had irregular periods always. Sometimes, I had heavy flow for 7 to 8 days and sometimes it was scanty for only 2 days. I was put ...  Read Full »