Q. What is the best course of action for IBS-D with high blastocystis hominis?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz
Published on Jan 13, 2020

I was diagnosed with IBS-D five years ago. This month tests have identified high levels of blastocystis hominis in my stool as well as yeast and imbalance in gut flora. I am traveling away and I am wondering what the best course of action for me is?

I have done comprehensive stool analysis and recent full blood test.

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Blastocystis hominis does not usually require treatment unless there is a co-pathogen (they were none found in your stool study) or if the individual is immunosuppressed.

The other issue is your SCFA (short-chain fatty acid) and but the rate are a bit on the lower side. How was your IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea) diagnosed? Was it after a colonoscopy, and checking celiac disease antigen as well as stool calprotectin level?

| 

Yes, I understand that however, within the literature there are heavy links of blastocystis with IBS, so I would like to try and irradicate the parasite to see if symptoms improve if possible. I never had a colonoscopy but multiple fecal calprotectin and celiac tests returned normal. I was told I have post-infectious IBS that would clear up in time, it has not for five years. The people who ran the test told me SFCAs are probably low due to the lack of Lactobacillus present. Is it true? How would I go about returning my gut flora species to normal? Do probiotics do this?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

The link between blastocystis hominis, though linked with IBS the evidence is not strong and has been conflicting with the equal number of studies coming up with no association. In view of the above, there is no clear consensus to treat.

I would not advise treatment, also due to the fact that a course of antibiotics could worsen your gut bacterial flora. I would suggest you increase on yogurt in your daily diet and also have a course of probiotics, preferably VSL3 capsules twice a day after food for two weeks.

| 

Yes, I was looking to avoid antibiotics and go with Oregano oil which has been shown to be effective. Would this be suitable alongside the probiotics you recommend?

I have been suffering for five years and have intermittently tried probiotics. Sorry if I seem dismissive I am just desperate to improve my condition. I have heard good things about VSL3 so I will try to get hold of some.

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Yes, antibiotics would not be a great idea right now. There are no known adverse interactions between Oregano oil and VSL3, so you can go ahead with it.

| 

Are migrating motor complex and fasting with IBS related?

Query: Hello doctor, Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome? Why fasting may help IBS? Why fasting may not help IBS? What is migrating motor complex, and how is it related to fasting with IBS?  Read Full »

Vomiting and Diarrhea

Article Overview: Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days. Rest and drinking fluids to prevent dehydration are the only treatment that is needed, but it is not always true. ...  Read Article

Should I reschedule colonoscopy after taking Ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Ashwagandha, Turmeric, Amal powder and Brahma supplements. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in three days. It is a preventive screen. I last took them a few days back. Should I reschedule my colonoscopy?  Read Full »