Q. What could be the cause for the pain in the left leg, and thigh?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I have attached lumbar spine MRI. I had sciatica for three months with severe pain in the left leg when I walk and stand. Better when I lean forward or sit. Pain is in the left leg, thigh, and upper thigh under groin. Numbness and tingling down leg calf to the foot. I have pain in the right thigh as well when walking or arching, but not nearly as much. When I stand up straight or lie down pain, numbness, tingling is present.

I have to sleep in a fetal position with legs curled up. I cannot arch my back without pain. I did swimming regularly until the pain started. I exercise in the water now. Could swimming have caused this? I also have numbness in my right inguinal area above the pelvis. Can this be related? I am respectfully requesting a detailed report on my MRI.

1. What is causing my pain?

2. Is this stenosis or bulging disc? What are my options?

3. Will epidural injections help or is surgery an only option?

4. Will this resolve on its own? This condition is adversely affecting my life. Can I stretch the painful areas? In other words, can I arch my back to stretch even though it hurts, or can I do stretching that will not hurt, like lifting the leg to the chest? Kindly help.

#

From your symptoms, it sounded like LC stenosis but having looked at your MRI, and it is evident that there are disc bulges prolapse at multiple levels on the left side leading to your remaining sided symptom. L4/5 and L5/S1 showed lateral canal stenosis and possibly a far lateral bulge leading exiting nerve irritation.

Yes, you should benefit from a directed nerve root injection at the two levels on the left side. What I cannot explain is the upper thigh pain. No swimming per se should not a disc bulge or a prolapse unless you have done something getting in or out of the pool. Arching your backward is not recommended as this will not help relieve the pressure may make it worse. I hope this helps.

I am not sure that I have entirely understood your evaluation. Where are the disc bulges? Are they at L4 and L5? Is stenosis caused by the disc bulging or is there a narrowing of the canal? I do not understand the fact far lateral bulge leading exiting nerve irritation. What does that mean? I have severe pain in the left thigh and right thigh. I have pain in the upper left leg. Can you elaborate? Is this a condition that will resolve without surgery? Are there any other details from the MRI that would be helpful to me?

#

There appears to be no gross bony central canal stenosis. There are disc bulges seen on the axial cuts (at the level of the disc) at L5/S1 (FSE axial T2 instance 24/25) only on the left side. This the dark looking bulge that is seen encroaching the canal and pushing the nerves posteriorly at L5/S1 and appears to be abutting the exiting nerve outside the spinal canal as this bulge is located more lateral. At cuts 13 to 14 /25 Axial FSE XL, there are bulges found laterally unlike 23 to 24/25 where it is paracentral. The saggital cuts are clearly showing that in T2 Saggital cuts instance 7 to 8/11.

As there is a mismatch between the symptoms and clinical picture, I will recommend it directed nerve root injections to help with symptoms as well as act as a diagnostic tool for surgery if required. Also, you should be on Pregabalin 75 mg twice a day to help work three nerve pain.

| 

After 30 years of mitral stenosis surgery, another valve has got defect. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient suffered from mitral stenosis. Before 30 years, he had surgical operation. Presently, he is suffering from chest pain. After thorough checkup, it reveals that the other valve of the patient got defective. In this regard, we seek your valuable advice. Is it possible to get surg...  Read Full »

Is having severe leg pain during pregnancy normal?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a complaint of severe pain in both the legs in my wife who is 14 weeks pregnant. She is unable to sleep due to the pain. All ANC check and blood tests are fine. This is the second pregnancy. She has complaints of a lot of pain in her legs on both sides, more on the right leg....  Read Full »

Why does my leg pain even after walking short distances?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old and my leg pains while walking. Can I please know what is the reason behind this? This problem started nine years ago. But, now my leg pains after walking even 20 to 30 meters. I am currently on Thyroxine 50 mg. I have had a Doppler ultrasound. Please help.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now