Q. What is the treatment for thinning of hair?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

My hair is becoming very thin. Kindly advice.

#

May I know your age, and since how many months are you experiencing thinning of hair? Please send the pictures of the scalp.

My age is 25, and I am facing this problem for a year. My scalp is visible on sunlight and after the application of oil.

#

Thank you for attaching pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your hair loss is diffuse, and it could be either, androgenetic alopecia (hair loss causing baldness) or telogen effluvium (stress-induced). Kindly answer these questions.

1. Do you have a family history of baldness?

2. Any history of medical illness in the past like major fever, or hospitalization?

3. How is your hemoglobin, and have you done a blood test in the recent past?

4. How is your diet generally, and do you take enough protein every day?

5. Do you smoke?

My father and grandfather had this problem. I do not smoke. Two months back I have done a blood test in which my results came back normal. Protein is not there in my daily routine.

#

The information you have given favors androgenetic alopecia. It is genetic, runs in the family. It is also hormonal. Have you tried any medication?

Let me give you some hair care tips here,

1. Always use lukewarm water for washing hair. Never use hot water.

2. Do not comb when hair is wet.

3. Do not use a hair dryer, allow it to dry naturally after the bath.

4. Avoid hot iron straightener, it breaks the protein bond in hair, and makes the hair brittle.

5. Hair is made up of a protein called keratin. You need to take more protein every day, like eggs, fish, curd, milk, lentils, and chicken.

6. Do regular exercise for 40 minutes a day, for at least six days a week, to keep the hormonal balance intact.

|