Q. There is a six-month waitlist for liver transplant. What are our options?

My brother, 46, has ALD cirrhosis. He was admitted to a hospital. Day-6 now. And is undergoing withdrawal and other treatment. MELD score is 22-24; ammonia 40 (down from 70). Low platelets, lot of bruises from falling pre-admittance. Signs of advanced hepatic encephalopathy. Treatment includes Rocephin, Librium, Lasix, Lactulose, Keppra, Magnesium and multivitamins, Presnison, Rifaximin, and Spironolactone.

Prognosis is very unclear as assessments are day by day. Due to the UNOS policy, any transplant (including live donor, which I would do) will not happen for six months due to a waitlist. It is almost a death sentence and unfair. Especially in the context of a live family donor.

What else can we do to immediately treat his degrading condition from a medical perspective? He has zero energy, cannot feed himself, barely can talk. Just last week, he was walking around and fairly alright (according to wife).

Can we introduce alternative medicine?

#

First of all, you need to understand that alternative therapies do not work in acute severe states. You can consider them later once he recovers. At this point of time, apart from medical management that is already being done, you can discuss with your doctor for liver assisted therapy in which there is a machine that acts as a pseudo liver. This is used till a liver transplant is arranged.

The second option is shifting him to countries where you can still go for emergency transplant provided you have a donor. Discuss with your doctor regarding partial liver transplant in which a live donor can give a partial portion of his liver to him. That donor can be from your family. You need to check if your hospital provides these facilities.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thank you very much. A few more questions:

1. Any specific and key questions that I should ask my gastroenterologist?
  2. Our biggest concern is getting him out of this very very lethargic state which has onset him so he can have a clear mind to self-motivate - hard to believe it is just the meds and hard to believe it is the liver as figures are same or slightly better.
  3. We think he may also have hepatic encephalopathy. So, anything else we can do apart from current meds?
  4. When would assisted liver machine (I researched MARS) be advisable? Any more details appreciated.
#

You can discuss my opinion with your gastroenterologist.

I am talking about MARS only and if it is available in your country, you may consider that under the guidance of your treating doctor.

Yes, his lethargic state is because of hepatic encephalopathy only. The best treatment for that would be high bowel wash with Lactulose along with oral Rifaximin. I suppose your doctors must be doing that.

Are you able to tell me anything we can do about his quick onset of lack of good dexterity with arms and hands? Is this due to the liver and body simply being sober for seven days now after 10 years of drinking? Also, any insight on the MARS dialysis appreciated apart from what I can find from the internet.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

To be honest, your doctor's treatment is very good. You can ask him for more albumin transfusions for strength. You can ask your doctor for injection Hepamerz (L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate and Pancreatin) for a little more support.

Availability of MARS in your country and your doctors experience with it depends on how easily he can get that.

Thanks this is helpful. If his liver gets progressively worse and they do not transplant till six months of sobriety here, if his life depends on it, could he get a transplant in your country? Is this common?

#

Yes, you can talk to your doctor about it. There are centers here which are pioneers in liver transplant.

|