Q. Can you suggest a medicine for Loose Motion?

Dr. Rashi Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Feb 01, 2019

I am suffering from loose motion since today morning. Can you suggest a medicine?

#

Loose motion usually spontaneously subsides within a day or two. Usually people who travel more frequetly will get affected easily and hence it is adviced for them to take ORS with them.

Let's have ORS (oral rehydration salt) solution, and take a few sips for every few minutes. And after loose motion, wait for a while and then have ORS to compensate for the water that is lost.

Eat bland diet. Avoid milk, spicy and fatty food. Preferably eat bananas, rice and other light food.

Loose motion should subside by this. However, if it is not controlled in a day or two, take tablet O2 (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole combination) twice a day for 5 days. This is an antibiotic which is useful in bacterial infections. If the infection is viral, antibiotics have no role. It needs to be just treated by ORS solution itself.

|