Q. I have low back pain which is more in the morning and less in the evening. Why does this pattern occur?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 03, 2019

I have low back pain since 5 years. The pain comes once in every 3 to 4 months. The pain is more in the morning and less in the evening. Why does this pattern occur? Please advise.

#

You have mentioned persistent low back pain for 5 years as your main problem. It is a known scientific fact that when you go to bed, the muscles in the body relax subconsciously, due to which any inflammatory pain is felt more. When you start with some activity, then that protective muscle spasm comes again and prevents the pain perception. Also after overnight inactivity, the disc pressures have been found to be very high in the mornings. So there are very high chances of prolapse early in the morning. Hence, I always advise my patients not to bend acutely forwards, or lift something very heavy, especially in the early morning time.

Your pain could be due to multiple reasons - muscular, mechanical, discal in origin, etc. If you have a localized backache, with no associated neurological symptoms like radiation of pain to legs, numbness, paresthesias, electric shock-like sensations in legs and there are no systemic symptoms like swelling, fever, loss of appetite or weight, etc., my advice to you for the initial 2 to 3 weeks will be:

1. To maintain a proper posture of lower back while working and sleeping.
  2. If the pain is more, then you can take a short course of an anti-inflammatory medication which suits you.
  3. Physical therapy initially under the supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home, mainly concentrating on lower back strengthening, abdominal strengthening, and general conditioning exercises.
  4. Adequate calcium and vitamin D intake if their levels are low in the body.
  5. Ice packs can be applied if your pain is acute, then hot fomentation can be done at home.
  6. Analgesic spray for local application can be used and is easily available.
  7. Avoid lifting heavyweight and acute forward bending in the mornings.

If your condition does not improve after 2 to 3 weeks of this conservative management, then you need to undergo some investigations.

| 

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now