Q. Can I request biopsy for neck swelling?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

I had a swelling developed on my neck overnight 10 days ago. I went to a doctor who did an ultrasound and took thyroid function blood tests. He said it as a 3 x 3 cm cyst with 1 x 1 cm tumor or nodule with some calcification. He took some of the cyst liquid and sent away for tests, but it will take 10 days to receive the result. He wants to wait for the results before deciding the next step. I do not have any other symptoms. All the similar ultrasound pictures online seem to be malignant. Should I wait for the result? Or can request a biopsy of the nodule? Currently I am on vacation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• A cyst being malignant is very unlikely. But, a nodule definitely needs evaluation though you do not have any symptoms.
  • I recommend you to first get I-131 scintigraphy scan followed by FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). This is irrespective of cyst fluid report.

For further details consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

My doctor here said that it is quite common and very unlikely to be anything serious. I have attached the photographs for your reference. Can you just take a look and give me your opinion please. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Divakara P

#

I went through the scan picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The cyst can be very clearly made out and seems harmless. But, I am not able to clearly appreciate the nodule in that picture. It requires continuous dynamic movement of scan pictures.
  • Yes, even I am of the opinion that most likely there is nothing serious in your scan report.
  • There is no need to hurry and get a FNAC or biopsy of the nodule. You can still wait for the cyst fluid results to come. But, FNAC or biopsy of the nodule has to be done irrespective of the cyst fluid report.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|