Q. How to treat the lump in my outer labia?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

Hi doctor,

Initially, I noticed a lump in my outer labia or labia majora. After a month, it grows like a small ball, and I felt hard to walk. Before a while, it accidentally bursts out, and some dripped from it. Since then, I do not have a regular period. What to do? Please help.



Welcome to

You have two problems, and they are the lump in labia and irregular periods. Your expected weight for height of 121.92 cm is 22 kg to 26 kg. So, the common cause for both the problem is obesity.

Your lump is most probably a sebaceous cyst. It is a gland in the layers of skin, which produces oily discharge and keeps skin moist. It is seen at the base of the hair follicles.

When you put on fat, there is a lot of fat deposits on the thigh and the labia. Due to fat, the gland mouth which is very narrow may get blocked due to dirt or sweat or periods blood or tight undergarment. But, the secretions from gland do not stop. They keep forming, and gland gradually swells up. Slowly the secretions become harder like a ball. One point on the surface may give way, and discharge or blood may come out.

The solution is to reduce weight, wear a loose undergarment, keep the labial area as dry as possible, do not use powder, oil or lotion to labia. All this will prevent further blocking of any other glands.

When you put on an extra pad of fat around the mid-segment of the body, the fat gets converted to hormones, which alter the hormonal balance of the body. Fat around thighs, breast and waist form female hormones, but in larger quantity. You would have seen fat males with breast and it is the female hormone in them.

Due to hormonal imbalance ovulation will not occur on time. So, periods will not happen. If you suddenly put on or lose weight, the hormone imbalance can occur. Incidentally, you had that lump bursting with no periods.

Solution to both the problems is trying to lose weight. I know it is easy to say, but tough to do. Give it a try and see the difference.

Avoid red meat, high calories diet and junk food. Have a lot of proteins, fruits and vegetables. Do aerobic exercise, yoga and brisk walking.

Tyr to lose 2 kg to 4 kg per month. If you lose 5 kg, then your periods will regularize, and over time such lumps will not appear.

If the present lump is very bothering, you can meet a gynecologist or a surgeon who can just remove it. It is not a major procedure.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Childhood Obesity : An Ayurvedic Approach to its Management

.. and cultural environment play major roles in the increasing prevalence of childhood obesity worldwide. By following the guidelines on the basis of ayurvedic fundamentals, parents can effectively manage their child's obesity .. ...   Read full

How to reduce weight through yoga?

My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit ... I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss ...   Read full

Will using Restreta tablet for three months cause hormonal imbalance?

.. Collagen, and L-cysteine) contains Glutathione which is an antioxidant. It effectively prevents melanin synthesis in the skin which helps in skin lightening. It is available in oral and injection form. Oral capsules do not produce much of a change...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.