Q. How to treat the lump in my outer labia?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

Initially, I noticed a lump in my outer labia or labia majora. After a month, it grows like a small ball, and I felt hard to walk. Before a while, it accidentally bursts out, and some dripped from it. Since then, I do not have a regular period. What to do? Please help.

#

You have two problems, and they are the lump in labia and irregular periods. Your expected weight for height of 121.92 cm is 22 kg to 26 kg. So, the common cause for both the problem is obesity.

Your lump is most probably a sebaceous cyst. It is a gland in the layers of skin, which produces oily discharge and keeps skin moist. It is seen at the base of the hair follicles.

When you put on fat, there is a lot of fat deposits on the thigh and the labia. Due to fat, the gland mouth which is very narrow may get blocked due to dirt or sweat or periods blood or tight undergarment. But, the secretions from gland do not stop. They keep forming, and gland gradually swells up. Slowly the secretions become harder like a ball. One point on the surface may give way, and discharge or blood may come out.

The solution is to reduce weight, wear a loose undergarment, keep the labial area as dry as possible, do not use powder, oil or lotion to labia. All this will prevent further blocking of any other glands.

When you put on an extra pad of fat around the mid-segment of the body, the fat gets converted to hormones, which alter the hormonal balance of the body. Fat around thighs, breast and waist form female hormones, but in larger quantity. You would have seen fat males with breast and it is the female hormone in them.

Due to hormonal imbalance ovulation will not occur on time. So, periods will not happen. If you suddenly put on or lose weight, the hormone imbalance can occur. Incidentally, you had that lump bursting with no periods.

Solution to both the problems is trying to lose weight. I know it is easy to say, but tough to do. Give it a try and see the difference.

Avoid red meat, high calories diet and junk food. Have a lot of proteins, fruits and vegetables. Do aerobic exercise, yoga and brisk walking.

Tyr to lose 2 kg to 4 kg per month. If you lose 5 kg, then your periods will regularize, and over time such lumps will not appear.

If the present lump is very bothering, you can meet a gynecologist or a surgeon who can just remove it. It is not a major procedure.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|