Q. When should you be concerned about the enlarged lymph nodes in the neck and groin?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

My 27-year-old daughter has had two enlarged lymph nodes in her neck and groin for four months. She had her blood tests done, and they have come back normal. She has no other symptoms. She is skinny, and so the doctor feels that the lymph nodes are noticeable for this reason.

Is this a cause for concern?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your daughter has had three palpable lymph nodes, two in the neck and one in the groin, for the last four months.

Swollen lymph nodes generally develop due to previous or present infection from bacteria, viruses, or fungus. These swollen lymph nodes usually go back to their normal size gradually after the infection subsides. But sometimes, lymph nodes remain swollen for an extended period even after subsiding the infection. If lymph nodes do not alter in size, shape, or consistency, there is no concern. But if you notice any changes in her lymph nodes in the near future, inform your doctor for further evaluation and treatment purposes.

If you still have any doubt, then your daughter can undergo FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) or biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

The lymph node 4 mm in diameter not really defined as being enlarged. They have not grown in size since we first noticed them

Thanks.

#

Thank you for joining again. Measurement of lymph nodes may vary according to the area of their situations. As your daughter's lymph nodes have not grown since she first noticed them, as well as there are no symptoms like unexplained fever, night sweats, weight loss, or loss of appetite, there is nothing to be worried about at all.

If you notice any changes in her lymph nodes, only then consult her doctor for undergoing FNAC or biopsy and then treat them accordingly.

At present, no medical treatment is needed for your daughter.

Thanks.

|