Q. I get depressive phase and normal mood alternatively. What is the possible diagnosis?

Dr. Parth Nagda

I get in a depressive phase for a while and I cannot seem to get out of it and then I feel completely fine like nothing happened. So I did not tend to take any actions. But it is recently been affecting my personal and work life. I tend to not feel like myself. Currently, I am on Lamez 25, Zapil and Zotral. My doctor just prescribed these medications when I told him about my anxiety issues and extreme mood swings. I am still unaware of the diagnosis as it is still affecting my day to day life.

Dr. Parth Nagda

Psychiatry
#

What are your symptoms exactly? If they are of depression, then the treatment with SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) is ideally given for six months or so. The Lamez 25 (Lamotrigine) is just a mood stabilizer, if the psychiatrist is suspecting bipolar disorder. Zapiz is a benzodiazepine and I would not advise you to take it for longer periods.

Basically, if you are depressed, you will feel irritable, low, feel like crying, sad, do not wish to eat, have difficulty sleep, anxiety, tiredness, headaches, etc.

In bipolar illness, there will be a period of these depressive symptoms and then after a period of normalcy, the reverse happens. That is, you feel unusually happy for no reason, there are episodes of spending money excessively on things which you do not need, or maybe episodes of excessive use of alcohol, other illicit drugs, sex, irritable behavior, decreased need for sleep and still feeling fresh, grandiose talks and ideas, many non-goal directed activities, etc.

So if you have not had the manic/hypomanic phase, then probably you might suffer from a major depressive disorder or generalized anxiety disorder.

|