Q. How can bilateral metatarsalgia be treated?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

I have hypertension and bilateral metatarsalgia. I am seeking a second opinion on my medical reports. I have attached them for your reference.

#

I went through your post and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are a few things which will need to be addressed.

• Your ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is 45 which is high and simultaneously you are complaining of arthralgias. So, inflammatory arthritis like RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and gout need to be ruled out.
  • Your ECG (electrocardiography) is showing a strain pattern which I think is due to the accelerated hypertension. So, once your blood pressure is controlled, you will need a repeat ECG to check your readings.

Rest of the investigations are normal and I do not see any significant problem. So, you need not worry. Regards.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

I have been suffering from pain in my feet mainly in the toes and in the front portion of my feet. I have metatarsalgia pain in the front part of my feet. I get cramps. It has been there for the last four years. I humbly request you to kindly suggest some pain relief medicines.

#

• Isolated metatarsalgia is seen in people with flat feet which is due to a loss of normal arch and in athletes it is because of microfractures.
  • Weight reduction is important and it is possibly the only method with good longterm results.
  • I suggest you take Naproxen 500 mg twice daily. It is safe with respects to your heart too. However, a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) needs to be taken along with it. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|