Q. Why is the pain in my neck and arms not subsiding with muscle relaxants and painkillers?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I am having pain in my neck and left arm for the past two months. The pain is not subsiding with muscle relaxants and pain killers. I took an MRI to rule out the cause, and I would like to get a second opinion on my reports.

Thanks.

#

Do you feel relief in your arm pain when you keep your hand above your head?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not get complete relief. Would you please provide your opinion on my MRI and possible medications to reduce the pain?

Thanks.

#

I am unable to open the attachment which you have sent.

The kind of pain which you are elaborating on is suggestive of nerve pain. It arises from the cervical spine due to irritation or compression of the nerve root. The pain could be from disc prolapse or hypertrophy of the facet, which can be seen on an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).

I suggest you take pain killers and neurotropic medicines like Pregabalin. If there is no relief, we can give a tapering dose of oral steroids or a selective nerve root block. And surgery is the final option.

Take care.

|