Q. I have pain when I am sitting or standing but not when lying. Why?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I have pain radiating from the shoulder blade to the forearm and little or ring finger. I think this is from leaning on my side and putting pressure on my elbow and shoulder. It is painful when I am sitting or standing but not when lying. What do you suggest?

#

Keep your hand above your head and tell me if this position gives you relief or not.

Yes, keeping my hand above my head gives me relief from pain.

#

Then it seems to be nerve pain, and the pain is arising from irritation or compression of the nerve root at your cervical spine. Kindly tell me what your profession is and how much physical activity you have in your daily routine.

I am a civil servant, and currently, I am working from home, and I am not comfortable as there is no office chair. I usually perform minimal exercise and cycling.

#

Well, that is the biggest reason. It is due to working on a laptop with an improper posture and not performing much physical activity. There are two parts to this treatment.

1. To reduce your pain as if now- For that, medications are going to help.

2. To reduce the chances of pain coming again and again - For that, you need to inculcate three things in your lifestyle proper posture, regular walking of 4 km at a stretch daily, and neck exercises.

|