How do I get over homosexual thoughts?

Q. Are my repeated homosexual thoughts because of obsessive compulsive disorder?

Answered by
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2023

Hello doctor,

In grade six, I started thinking about marriage and sex, and as the time passed, I started thinking about my mother's marriage with another person and them having sex as my father was a harmful person. As the time passed, I would perceive men by their physical appearance, like having a mustache or clean shaved, and would imagine myself seeing them having sex. I would masturbate during such thoughts. Men I perceived as my father would give me a feeling of happiness when they were around me. This continued for five years. I perceived around 300 to 400 men as my father all these years. Also, in a hostel, I had sex three times with one of my friends. I also felt like having sex with my friends of the same gender. Later, I learned it is a homosexual act, and I want to get out of all this.

Kindly help.



Welcome back to

Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. I understand your concern. You have an obsessive-compulsive disorder. There is non-pharmacological management for it; you should follow few guidelines to deal with it. It will help you. You should exercise 30 to 45 minutes daily, like at least going for a walk. You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily, sit at one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to control your thoughts; just let them be. It will help you relax. You should eat healthy home-cooked foods and avoid junk foods. You must drink enough water. You should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you are living away from your family. It would help if you spent time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills, language, or musical instruments. You should get at least three to four hours of sleep daily. You must avoid tobacco, alcohol, or any substance abuse. Live your life, do not just spend it. Be bold and confident. Do not be afraid of anyone. Stop overthinking. If you still have symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, you need to consult your nearest psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Investigations to be done:

I suggest you get CBC (complete blood count), thyroid profile, vitamin b12, and vitamin D3 levels checked.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can a gay impregnate his wife?

.. if you have homosexual orientation even then you will be able to make your wife pregnant. No need to worry for that provided your sperms count is normal. Homosexuality does not have direct genetic inheritance.   Read full

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

My mother is suffering from schizophrenia and is on 1 mg Risperidone ... My mother has chronic schizophrenia, for which she is having medicines for last 15 years after the death of my father ...   Read full

Why can I maintain an erection only during oral sex?

Hi doctor, I want to know whether I have erectile dysfunction ... There are various reasons to have erectile dysfunction ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.