Q. Is it necessary to take antibiotics for a week after pinky toe amputation?

Dr. Nasir

I got a toe amputation of my pinky toe that got ripped off in a surfing accident. In the hospital, they gave me an antibiotic injection and antibiotic pills for one day. It has been four days, and the wound is healing alright. I told this to the doctor friend of mine, and he said I should be taking antibiotics for seven days after the surgery to prevent infection. Should I start now or keep as I am with my wound care regimen?

#

It is of utmost importance that you continue and complete the full dose of antibiotics that were started.

Antibiotics are given to kill or prevent the start of infection as such conditions are favorable for them to grow.

In your case, since recent surgery or minor procedure has been performed, it becomes easier for the bacteria to get in and start an infection. Suppose antibiotics are not taken in the correct dosages and for a complete number of days. In that case, the bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics, and the antibiotics will be ineffective against them in the future.

I would request you to continue the antibiotic whichever you had started and take it for a complete of seven days. If you would like me to prescribe you an antibiotic, then please let me know.

|