Q. Can I reduce weight by going to gym?

Dr. Hariharan V
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I am a 25 year old male. My weight is 100 kg and height is 5'5". My current medications are as follows. Atorvastatin 10 mg on alternate days for hyperlipidemia, Allopurinol 100 mg three times a day for hyperuricemia and LABA plus steroid inhaler for asthma. Today, my BP is 139/98 mmHg on routine measurement. I am thinking to join a gym this week. Please suggest me.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist
#

• You are overweight. You have to reduce your weight to around 65 kg to live a healthy life.
  • Your lipid status and blood pressure may become normal, once you shed those extra kilos.
  • Going to the gym is a good initiative and I suggest you not to lift weights until you become 90 kg.
  • I suggest you to walk daily for 40 minutes quickly like 6 km per hour after one or two months convert it into jogging. Within two months you must be doing two hours of this every day.
  • After reducing 10 kg, you do one hour jogging and one hour gym activity. And never stop your dieting and exercise ever in your life. It will lead to getting the same weight again.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »

I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

Query: Hi doctor,While walking, I missed a step and accidentally bent my middle toe downward. There was a sharp pain for several minutes and subsided after a while. There is no swelling, deformation or bruising. It has been 5 hours now, and I have iced it thrice. I have also taken an anti-inflammatory medi...  Read Full »

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »