Q. I am taking Ibuprofen for pericoronitis. How long should I take the medicine to become normal?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I have Pericoronitis (swelling and pain behind the wisdom tooth). I went to the dentist yesterday and he cleaned my mouth and gave me antibiotics (Penicillin V) and Ibuprofen 600. I have been taking the antibiotics for two days now and I do not feel an improvement. Is this normal? How long does it normally take until it starts getting better? Should I go back to my dentist tomorrow? I take Ibuprofen but it only lasts for two to three hours. I am also using Chlorhexamed forte.

#

I understand your concern. The loosely attached swollen gums over the wisdom tooth is called as pericoronitis. The age of eruption of wisdom teeth is from 17 to 21 years. Beyond that, if the wisdom tooth has not erupted or half erupted gives out pain or swelling, it is highly likely to be locked inside the jaw.

Since they are the last ones to erupt, most of them do not get enough space to erupt and tries anyways and this causes jaw pain, swelling and sometimes the surrounding structures like same side temple, ear and throat also gives out pain. This wisdom tooth is called an impacted tooth. During the first visit, antibiotics and painkillers will be prescribed. The swelling will come down eventually but if that is impacted, it may not come down.

Please visit your dentist and get an x-ray of your wisdom tooth to check whether there is enough space for it to erupt and to check whether it is erupting in the right direction. Taking painkillers and antibiotics will help to control pain and swelling but if the tooth is impacted, this will not be a permanent solution. You may require wisdom tooth removal.

| 

How to get rid of bad breath? I floss, brush every morning and night, but still suffer from bad breath.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am 16 years old. I floss, brush every morning and night and use a tongue cleaner too. But still suffer from bad breath the whole day. Please help me.  Read Full »

The area near the last molar is swollen and painful. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, The area in the end of the last molar is swollen and it is painful. The last molar in the above side of the mouth is coming in contact with that skin below from yesterday. I thought it will be normal in a day and the pain was less in the morning but now it is the same as yesterday nig...  Read Full »

Why do I feel dizzy after taking Ibuprofen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 18 year old female, and I weigh 135 lbs and 5.4 feet tall. I take birth control pills every night, along with two 500 mcg Biotin and two 500 mg cranberry pills. Tonight, I had a headache, so I accidentally took two 800 mg Ibuprofen tablets without thinking about it. I feel extremel...  Read Full »