Q. What is this condition where I can retract only half of my foreskin?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I can retract my foreskin in flaccid state, but in erect position I am not able to retract it. Sometimes, I can retract it up to half of glans, but then it starts hurting. What is this condition called? Should I go for circumcision or any other surgery? Or can this be treated by medicines?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

• Is it acquired or suffering with the issue from childhood?

Revert back with the details to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

When I was 8 years old I had a surgery. But, I do not think it as circumcision as I have full foreskin. I did not care that time as I do not know much about the problem. Six years ago, I noticed that I could not retract my foreskin. Now, I am married and worried about my problem. Please help.

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

#

You are suffering from a condition known as phimosis.

Circumcision is the only effective treatment for it.

Do not try to forcefully retract it as it may result in paraphimosis which is an emergency condition.

Medical treatment will not be effective in phimosis.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

What are the complications of circumcision? Will it be painful? Please tell me the details about this surgery and recovery time. Thank you.

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

#

The procedure will not be painful except for the injection of local anesthesia which is usually given on the base of penis or base of the glans.

Dorsal slit technique is the most commonly used. In the hand of a good and experienced surgeon it is a very safe and non-invasive technique with almost no complication.

Bleeding, infection and swelling are the most common problems followed by cosmetic disfigurement and wound disruption. But, all these are rare.

Recovery time after circumcision will be 7 to 10 days.

Just find the best surgeon and get it done. It is one of the most common surgical procedures. So, almost all surgeons will have expertise in it.

For further clarifications consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

Why are there red rashes on my glans penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex three months ago. I had all the tests except herpes done and all were negative. About every one to two weeks since the encounter, I have been getting red rashes and red small dots all over my glans penis and foreskin. They are not raised, they do not itch. They a...  Read Full »

Foreskin Is Swollen Like A Balloon After Frenuloplasty. Is This Normal?

Query: Hi doctor,Yesterday I had to have a frenuloplasty. I had to have a general anaesthetic. I woke up and never got any advice off the urologist because I never saw him after the procedure. The nurse who discharged me told me to take off the dressing in the morning and wash the wound and the foreskin tw...  Read Full »

I put scotch tape on penis to regenerate foreskin. Will my babies have birth defects?

Query: Hello doctor, To make a long story short, I used scotch tape and micropore tape respectively on my penis. Two straps of tape were attached to the penis in the form of a cross, so that they met in the tip of the penis' head, while the ends went all the way down to the skin of the shaft. This allowed...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now