Q. I over-exerted myself in the gym. How to quicken the recovery?

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

I am a 17 year old male. Yesterday, I was at the gym, and I believe I over-exerted myself. I went swimming and played basketball. After 2 hours, I felt very faint. I was lightheaded and sweating profusely, had trouble with breathing and could not walk. I sat down for 30 minutes and was able to go home after that. However, the day after, although I am now able to move around again and breathe easier, I am still quite lightheaded. I was wondering if this was normal. Is there anything I can do to quicken the recovery process? I have decided to stay away from the gym and take rest for the next few days. But, I am worried about being lightheaded despite it being 24 hours since I over-exerted myself. Any of your advice would be helpful. Thank you.

#

I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns.

• All the symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of dehydration and hypotension caused by physical exhaustion.
  • You do not need to worry regarding this as it will subside by itself with conservative management.
  • I suggest you the following as a first line management.
  1. Take plenty of oral fluids and take adequate bed rest.
  2. Check your blood pressure level. If you are hypotension, you may require IV fluids to rehydrate yourself.
  • If symptoms persist despite all these, then consult a general physician and get evaluated.

Physical exhaustion.

Dehydration.

For further information consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|