Q. I over-exerted myself in the gym. How to quicken the recovery?

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P
Published on Apr 14, 2017

I am a 17 year old male. Yesterday, I was at the gym, and I believe I over-exerted myself. I went swimming and played basketball. After 2 hours, I felt very faint. I was lightheaded and sweating profusely, had trouble with breathing and could not walk. I sat down for 30 minutes and was able to go home after that. However, the day after, although I am now able to move around again and breathe easier, I am still quite lightheaded. I was wondering if this was normal. Is there anything I can do to quicken the recovery process? I have decided to stay away from the gym and take rest for the next few days. But, I am worried about being lightheaded despite it being 24 hours since I over-exerted myself. Any of your advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns.

• All the symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of dehydration and hypotension caused by physical exhaustion.
  • You do not need to worry regarding this as it will subside by itself with conservative management.
  • I suggest you the following as a first line management.
  1. Take plenty of oral fluids and take adequate bed rest.
  2. Check your blood pressure level. If you are hypotension, you may require IV fluids to rehydrate yourself.
  • If symptoms persist despite all these, then consult a general physician and get evaluated.

Physical exhaustion.

Dehydration.

For further information consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

When I stand from my bed suddenly, I feel dizzy for a minute. What causes it?

Query: Hi doctor, When I stand from my bed suddenly I feel dizzy for a minute. What causes this? My ECG and echo are normal. When walking, feel floating, and imbalance. Currently, I am taking Xynal, Avas 10 mg, Vertin OD, and Febuget 40 mg.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. So, this is suggestive of postural hypotension, meaning when you suddenly get blood supply to brain goes down and you get symptoms till body adjusts it. This is most of the time benign and not worrisome and goes away with lifestyle changes. However, we should rule ou...  Read Full

Please advise non-surgical treatment for lumbar lordosis and disc dehydration.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain which has made me stay in bed for two weeks. Now the pain has reduced but I have very limited movement, just to go to the bathroom but still, there is a pain when I want to stand up. I did the MRI test, the result was showing lumbar lordosis is decreased with scolio...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI report shows evidence of wear and tear of the lumbar disc with some pressure on the nerves (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is difficult to suggest the treatment without examining you in person. However, generally speaking, it is possible...  Read Full

Can CMV or herpes infection before or after birth affect pregnancy or child?

Query: Hello doctor, I am in 36th week of pregnancy. My last ultrasound was doppler happened at 34th week 5 days. I showed the pregnancy of 32 weeks 5 days with mild IUGR. Fetal weight 1885 grams. My gynecologist advised CBC, and Torch IgM, IgG tests. In the CBC test, total leucocyte count is 13300/cumm, ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini Ekatpure

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your baby growth is lagging behind. I need weekly no stress test and ultrasound with doppler every 10 days. Do the following things for baby's well being. Maintain daily baby kick count and note down between 9 AM to 9 PM. Blood pressure monitoring on an alternate day. U...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now