Q. Will PCV vaccine cause fever?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

My baby boy had his first dose of PCV vaccination. He is suffering from fever now. But, the doctor, who gave vaccination, told me that the PCV vaccine will not cause fever.

#

• There are two types of PCV available (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine). Painless PCV, which does not cause fever in 99% cases and painful PCV, which is known to cause fever in 70% cases.
  • The cost of painless is more than painful one. Hence, people do not give painless normally. So, it eventually depends on which vaccine has been given.
  • Also, please do not worry if there is fever. It should subside in a period of three days without much complication.
  • You can give Paracetamol as per requirement till the fever subsides.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

Is it necessary to get vaccinated after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full »

Which type of vaccination is good, painless or painful?

Query: Hello doctor,My son's tongue comes out while sleeping and most of the time. He is six weeks old. While breastfeeding, he uses his tongue to suck the milk. Is this normal? Please advice.  Read Full »

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now