Q. Will PCV vaccine cause fever?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

My baby boy had his first dose of PCV vaccination. He is suffering from fever now. But, the doctor, who gave vaccination, told me that the PCV vaccine will not cause fever.

#

• There are two types of PCV available (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine). Painless PCV, which does not cause fever in 99% cases and painful PCV, which is known to cause fever in 70% cases.
  • The cost of painless is more than painful one. Hence, people do not give painless normally. So, it eventually depends on which vaccine has been given.
  • Also, please do not worry if there is fever. It should subside in a period of three days without much complication.
  • You can give Paracetamol as per requirement till the fever subsides.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|