Q. Can a toothpaste allergy cause itching, burning sensation, and mouth sores?

After six months of recovering from the COVID infection, I started feeling itching and burning sensations in my mouth and lips. Sometimes I think that my tongue or lips are swelling. But no one except me sees a swelling. I also have some sores in my mouth. I went to an allergy specialist who made some allergy prick tests, patch test, and blood tests for 50 allergens. From the prick tests, he said there is a weak reaction to oak and from patch tests on the 72 hours from rye. But the blood tests were all negative.

He concluded that I did not have an allergy disease and sent me home. But one month after the tests, I still have the same issues. When I start having the burning, I fear I will have an anaphylaxis reaction. Could it be a reaction to toothpaste or something? Should I be concerned about this happening?

Thanks.

#

Although your blood allergy tests were negative, it seems like you have some allergies based on the skin prick test. In our practice, we consider the skin prick test as a confirmatory test for

Kindly tell us more about the reflux problem you have to guide you accordingly.

Thanks for the reply.

I have had reflux for several years. It was diagnosed with gastroscopy performed one year ago. I take tablet Famotidine 20 mg before going to bed; otherwise, I cannot sleep well. I do not snore and do not have nose blocks. The COVID-19 infection was severe, and I had a fever for 30 days, but I was cured at home. After one month of recovery, I did a whole-body scan, and I had perfect results for everything, including a pulmonary test with exhaling in different tubes. I had 10% lesions in the lungs. But blood tests showed slight variations in vitamin D, ASAT, and LDL cholesterol. They told me all was good and nothing to worry about. I repeated the tests last week, and ASAT came back to normal.

Thanks.

#

Is your vitamin D level been corrected?

Reflux can cause some burning mouth issues as well. Do you want to change to a more potent antacid? But it will take a few weeks to appreciate any change.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

Vitamin D is still low.

What kind of antacid do you prescribe?

Thanks.

#

My recommendations are as follow;

1) Kindly correct the vitamin D levels. We give vitamin D3 supplements (60000 IU) once a week for several weeks and then make it once a month.

2) Take tablet Neksium 40 (Esomeprazole) once daily before breakfast for three weeks.

Thanks for the reply.

Should I stop eating something? Should I be warried about having anaphylaxis? What about toothpaste or oral hygiene?

Thanks.

#

Kindly use mild toothpaste. Do not gargle a lot. Gargling a few times daily with hot water saline is enough. Medicated gargles can trigger acid reflux and cause more harm than any benefit.

Stop eating spicy and oily foods. Avoid milk and milk products till you get better. And do not worry about anaphylaxis.

Take care.

|