Q. My mother has fluctuating blood pressure even after medication post-COVID-19. Please help.

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

My mother tested positive for COVID-19 45 days before and tested negative after 13 days. Before getting COVID-19, she took some ayurvedic medicine to control her blood pressure, but after COVID-19, her blood pressure reached 170/97 mm Hg even when she took her usual medication. Sometimes the blood pressure falls to 117/70 mm Hg, and her pulse rate ranges from 75 bpm to 87bpm. Apart from this, she experiences heaviness and weakness in her chest whenever she does any household work after her recovery. What would be your advice for our situation?

#

I went through your query for your mother with chest heaviness and weakness in post-COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) phase. First of all, for her blood pressure variation, she must be having hypertension even before she got a COVID-19 infection. I think for which she should start with low-dose antihypertensive medicines. Some variation in blood pressure is seen in every individual during different times of the day. Generalized weakness post-COVID-19 is common, which she can overcome with a proper adequate, and healthy diet. I would like to know some more details about her chest heaviness. Does she get chest heaviness on exertion and walking or even at rest? How long does it last every time? Is she diabetic? Was she having any history of cardiac disease? Do you have recent or previous ECG (electrocardiogram) and echocardiography reports? How severe was her COVID-19? Kindly get back with the above details and all available information for further discussion and management.

|