Q. I had a dental scan on the day I conceived. Is it fine?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I had a dental scan the week I conceived my baby or possibly the day I conceived. Should I be worried?

#

The dose of radiation in a dental X-ray is very less and approximately 0.01 mSv. This will not cause any significant harm if you got X-ray done on the day you might have conceived. Please avoid X-rays during the pregnancy.

If I had conceived a week or few days before the dental X-ray, would it still be fine?

#

A dental X-ray involves weak X-rays and the field of view is limited. In this way, the area of scattered radiation is usually in the head and face areas. Conceiving happens in the fallopian tubes and is located in the pelvis area. Therefore the chance of a dental X-ray causing any significant radiation effects if you conceived a week or days before is near zero.

|