Q. When to take a pregnancy test for the most accurate results?

Dr. Vidya Muralidhar
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2022

My period cycle is usually 30 to 32 days. Today, I am on the 35th day and still have not got my periods. I took a home pregnancy test, and both were negative. Should I take a blood test? Will it be able to give me the right hCG count if I take it this week?

#

There is no need to do a blood test now. Wait for a week. If you do not get your periods after a week, do a blood test. It could be a delayed ovulation causing delayed cycles. If pregnancy test was negative, you can get an ultrasound done to rule out causes like polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, etc. Also, do check your thyroid and prolactin levels too.

Thanks for your reply. I thought of getting the blood test done on day 40 to rule out pregnancy. Is that alright?

#

Yes, you can go ahead and do it. No problem.

Thanks for your reply. Will I be able to get an accurate report then?

#

You will get an accurate report. Nothing to worry. Beta hCG at day 40 is reliable enough. So, you can get it done.

Thanks a lot. I will get it done then. I am really worried about pregnancy as we are not planning for one right now. If the test comes negative, do I need to repeat it later? What other tests should I get done?

#

If it is negative, you can leave it. If it is misleading, you can repeat it after 48 hours. You can get an ultrasound done and a check on thyroid and prolactin levels.

|