Q. When to take a pregnancy test for the most accurate results?

Dr. Vidya

My period cycle is usually of 30 to 32 days. Today, I am on the 35th day and still have not got my periods. I took a home pregnancy test and both were negative. Should I take a blood test? Will it be able to give me the right hCG count if I take it this week?

#

• There is no need to do a blood test now. Wait for a week. If you do not get your periods after a week, do a blood test. It could be a delayed ovulation causing delayed cycles.
  • If pregnancy test was negative, you can get an ultrasound done to rule out causes like polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, etc.
  • Also, do check your thyroid and prolactin levels too.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I was thinking of getting the blood test done on day 40 to rule out pregnancy. Is that alright?

#

• Yes, you can go ahead and do it. No problem.

Will I be able to get an accurate report then?

#

• You will get an accurate report. Nothing to worry. Beta hCG at day 40 is reliable enough. So, you can get it done.

Thanks a lot. I will get it done then. I am really worried about pregnancy as we are not planning for one right now. If the test comes negative, do I need to repeat it later? What other tests should I get done?

#

• If it is negative, you can leave it. If it is misleading, you can repeat it after 48 hours.
  • You can get an ultrasound done as well as a check on thyroid and prolactin levels.

|