Q. My wife is pregnant and her T3 value is high. What to do?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My wife is 17 weeks and 4 days pregnant. She has been diagnosed with T3 thyroid - 237, hemoglobin - 10.4 and low RBC count. Currently, she is taking Aspirin gastro resistant 50 mg, Milical od 740 mg and Fecontin-Z 61.8 mg one tablet per day. Does this have an impact on child? What measures or corrective steps to be taken for normal delivery? I have attached all her reports. Please guide.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Rise of triiodothyronine (T3) alone has no clinical significance (especially when TSH is in normal range - 1.50). So, it will not harm mother or the baby.
  • Regarding parameters of hemogram (hemoglobin and others), all of them indicate iron deficiency anemia, for which she is already taking Iron supplement (Fecontin-Z).
  • If her previous hemoglobin was normal and has reduced recently despite taking tablets (if she is taking for more than three to four weeks), you can ask your doctor regarding change of brand of Iron supplement (Orofer XT is a good brand).
  • You can also increase the dose to twice daily if she can tolerate it.
  • Anemia itself will not do any major harm at this stage. But, it needs correction to prevent further fall of hemoglobin.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

My TSH - 5.96, free T3 - 2.49, free T4 - 0.76, Age 33.Do I need thyroid medicine?

Query: Hello Doctor, Free TSH 5.96, freeT3 2.49, freeT4 0.76. Age 33 years. Symptoms - weight gain, depression, late periods since second delivery and 2 years back. Do I need thyroid medicine?  Read Full »

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full »