Q. What causes recurrent miscarriages, and how to treat them?

I am a 31-year-old female. I had miscarriages thrice in the past year. Kindly review the reports of my hormonal assay and let me know if anything is deranged.

Thanks.

#

I have gone through your hormonal assay reports, and all the results are within the normal range (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). If your menstrual cycles have been regular, and if you have been ovulating naturally during each cycle, then there is no chance of infertility. However, a pelvis ultrasound (transvaginal ultrasound) would help get an overview of the endometrial status. I also suggest you doing a thrombophilia profile to rule out any clotting defect.

Also, it is important to do semen analysis for your partner to check for any male infertility factor in terms of quality, quantity, and morphology of the sperm.

Thanks for the reply.

Some additional information are as follow;

1) I have been told that my uterus is slightly arcuate.

2) All miscarriages were within ten weeks of gestation.

3) The ratio of FSH and LH should be 1:1, but mine is 2:1.

Is there any chance that I could be dealing with subclinical hypothyroidism?

Thanks.

#

1) If it is a bicornuate uterus, I need an ultrasound report before giving my opinion.

2) If there are three miscarriages at less than ten weeks of gestation, then a diagnosis of recurrent abortion is needed. For which I asked to do a thrombophilia screening.

3) It is normal to have an FSH (follicular stimulating hormone): LH (luteinizing hormone) ratio of 2:1.

Subclinical hypothyroidism is when you have high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and normal T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxine) levels. In your case, everything is normal.

I understand that your partner has kids from his former partner, but the latest semen analysis report would only be contributory to ruling out any male infertility factor.

|