Q. I brokeup with my girl friend. I am frustrated and lonely. How to overcome it?

Dr. Sonia Malhotra

I am a 21-year-old male. I broke up with my girlfriend two months ago after a healthy relationship of four years. All these happened just within two days, and I could not even understand what to do and what not. She said that she forgot all the moments and memories of our relation, and this breaks my heart. I did everything to get her back, but she refused. She is the only thought in my mind all the time, and all my daily routine is out of track. I am going through the worst phase of my life. I am frustrated and feeling lonely. Please help.

#

You are facing an adjustment disorder. The relationship appears to be an important part of your life, but still, change is the hard fact of life. You may not be able to forget her ever, but her memories will stop giving you pain. Currently, you do not need any medicines.

Practice the following tips, and it will help you tide over the crisis:

1. Set a schedule for yourself and follow it as if your life depends on it. Make sure you leave no space for free time in it.

2. Start spending time with those friends and family whom you had not given time earlier due to your commitment to your girlfriend.

3. Avoid social media and common friends for at least four weeks to avoid unnecessary encounters.

4. Do not take alcohol, smoking, or any pills to avoid heartache. You will end up adding another problem to your list.

5. Do not take caffeinated drinks and cold drinks at least four hours before bedtime to avoid sleep issues.

6. Practice deep breathing for ten minutes every day to calm your nerves.

|