Q. If a person with chronic kidney disease receives Toradol 60 mg,can that lead to acute renal failure?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

If a person with chronic kidney disease with a creatinine of 1.9 and a GFR of 40 receives Toradol 60 mg IM as a single dose, can that lead to acute renal failure? How soon would failure occur after the administration of the medication?

#

• Toradol contains Ketorolac. It is known to cause worsening of kidney functions.
  • But usually what is seen is that, it is the administration for a longer duration which causes the increased probability of renal failure and not a single dose.
  • A famous study reveals that ketorolac administered for 5 days or less did not increase the rate of renal failure.
  • However, among patients who were treated with analgesics for more than 5 days, ketorolac may be associated with an elevated rate of acute renal failure.
  • So, in my opinion, that person should drink plenty of water if otherwise not contraindicated, so as to keep the kidneys well hydrated.
  • He/she should get a repeat evaluation of serum creatinine after 3 days of getting the injection (Toradol intramuscular injection).
  • If the acute renal failure has to occur, it usually occurs in the first 3-5 days only.

For further queries, consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

The person is 65 years old. Will the kidneys decompensate quicker?

#

• Yes, if we compare the tolerance of a young person's kidneys to a person of 65 years of age, the kidneys of the older would decompensate easily.
  • However, as per my experience and the studies, the single dose would not affect much
  • As discussed earlier, he/she should consume good quantity of water (if not contraindicated) and wait and watch.
  • Get the serum creatinine evaluated after 3 days of exposure.
  • A rise of ≥1.5 times baseline is considered as acute kidney injury.
  • So, take the precautions as discussed. 
  • As far as pain killers are concerned, if he/she requires them, then Tramadol is the best drug which is relatively very safe in kidney dysfunctions.

Take care.

|