Q. What can be done for raised values in renal function tests?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

My father age is 72 years and is taking heart medicines for last 15 years. About 6 months ago, his RFT was conducted and values are high which are Urea (Serum) 50mg/dl, BUN 24mg/dl and Creatinine (Serum) 1.39mg/dl. His BP remains at about 145/90. Also he has severe knee arthritis. My question is whether the RFT have any tendency to move back to normal range, if yes then how and if no, what should we do now? I shall be very grateful if you help me in this regard.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I have read through your query and I see that you are concerned with your father's elevated renal parameters. Your father's renal parameters are only slightly elevated (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Whether it will decrease or increase will need a repeat blood test after 2 weeks duration from your initial blood test for verification.

Your father being an elderly person, this may be his baseline creatinine at present. Until his urine output is good, you need not worry about it Given a past history of renal stones, ask your father to take more water to avoid further stone formation and renal damage. Also, we will do an abdomen scan to check the kidney size whether it is normal.

USG Abdomen
RFT
Serum Sodium and Potassium
Urine Routine

|