Q. I have vision problems after I got slapped in the face. Please help.

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

I recently got slap in my face (2 days ago), and I got some vision problems. It has been two days, and the problems have not been reduced or changed yet. There is a completely opaque black big oval which is blocking my left eye vision near the nose. Both the eyes have a little bit of blur entirely. Both the eyes have floaters and light flashes. In dim light or during the night, I can clearly see that black oval-shaped blockage near my nose. When we went to an ophthalmologist, he said there is no problem with the retina as of now. To me, it seems like retinal detachment. Is this really retinal detachment, and was I misdiagnosed? Can the problem get worse if I waited for a longer time? If it is not retinal detachment, is it permanent loss of peripheral vision or anything severe?

#

More than a retinal detachment, it appears as a vitreous hemorrhage or a retinal hemorrhage on that particular front. To confirm a detachment, a B-scan (brightness scan), and were any fundus photos taken? I would advise you to get a second opinion. If such a significant visual defect is there, something could be missed during diagnosis. Were you dilated and made to lie down, and the periphery was examined using a metal device indenting on your skin?

I do not know anything about B-scan. Yes, I was dilated, I was made to lie down, and some metal device was used. After checking for 10-15 minutes (he told me to look at the thumb), the doctor said that there is no retina problem. If there is no retina problem, what could be the issue? Is there a possibility that the retina might detach later on? Is it something else more severe?

#

There might be a subclinical retinal detachment. This gets missed often on physical examination, so get a B-scan done. Also, a field analysis to see how much peripheral vision is lost and a fundus photo. Take a second opinion as obviously, and something could be missed.

|