Q. Why does my mother hear mild sounds while going and getting up from sleep?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 13, 2021

My mother is hearing some voice for the last eight days. She can hear a mild voice while getting up in the morning, sleeping in the night, and a buzz that she can listen to. We have done audio and MRI brain for the same. The doctor I visited said no surgery is required. Please suggest a remedy as she feels uneasy with the continuous sound while sleeping especially.

#

Your mother is having ringing sound continuously in the ear, which in medical terms is called tinnitus. Tinnitus arises from inner ear dysfunction and is a common issue in the elderly as the hearing deteriorates. Most tinnitus is not permanent and will disappear in two to three years. It is most likely due to degenerative changes in the inner ear, which occur with age in specific individuals. Your mother has mild deafness, and it is again pointing to the source as the inner ear. The vascular loop around the nerve may not be causing this. I feel surgery is not a good answer to this problem. Ignoring the sound distracts the sound like soothing music as the ocean's natural sounds or leaves. This sound suppresses the tinnitus and makes the patient comfortable. Ear wax has been ruled out by the ENT (ears, nose, and throat) surgeon as a cause already. I do not think that surgery is the answer for her.

|