Q. I have a fungal infection on the face that recurs when I stop the cream. Please help.

Dr. Sushil Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 24 years old. I have been diagnosed to have a fungal infection on my face and was suggested to use candid B cream when I was in primary school. I had relief, but I have been now developing the same kind of lesions since five years and I have been using candid B every night. If I stop using this cream, I develop itching and red rashes within a period of four to five days. I consulted a dermatologist regarding this issue and he suggested me to use Miczo F cream for two weeks and then stop. But I have the same trouble after discontinuing the cream. Will you please help me to withdraw the cream safely?

#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can see some dryness, flakiness, and small red patches on the side of the chin, jaw, and side of upper lip.

It is not exactly a fungal infection. It is actually seborrheic dermatitis of the face. It is a condition similar to dandruff on the scalp. Seborrheic dermatitis too has a fungal etiology. The overgrowth of yeast Malassezia furfur is supposed to play a role in seborrheic dermatitis of scalp and face.

The creams you have been using contain an antifungal and steroid component. Though the steroid component brings rapid control in seborrheic dermatitis but as soon as the cream is stopped the rash comes back, as in your case.

I suggest you try a non-steroid cream like Pimecrolimus 1 % cream (Picon cream or Elidel cream), twice daily. You may use it for three to four weeks and then taper it off gradually. You may or may not get it to recur when you stop the cream but Pimecrolimus is at least much safer than steroid creams even if they have to be used long term. Regards.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I shall start using the cream you have suggested and get back to you.

#

Fine. Thank you.

|