Q. My 2-year-old daughter is getting seizure around 15-30 seconds in sleep. Please help.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2020

I would like to have a second opening regarding my daughter's case. She is just 2 years old and she was having some seizures at night while asleep. For 10-15 days, we started to observe that she is having jerking movements, stiffening of the body, and sometimes teeth grinding for about 15-30 seconds.

I am attaching her consultation and lab report for details.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your two years baby has been suffering from seizure which lasts for 15-30 seconds. Anything that interrupts the normal connection between nerve cells in the brain can cause a seizure. This includes high fever, high or low blood sugar, drug withdrawal, or brain injury. There is various type of seizures like absence seizure, tonic-clonic seizure, atonic seizure, clonic seizure, tonic seizure, myoclonic seizure, etc.

By CBC, EEG, and MRI of brain, we can detect the type of seizure and then treat them accordingly.

As soon as you know your child is starting to have a seizure, you should gently try to get your baby in a position where your baby is safe. Stay with ur child. Do not put anything in your child's mouth. Do not try to stop or restrain the child's movement. Children often foam at the mouth during a seizure, wash that carefully.

| 

Her CBC reports are normal. Do EEG and MRI is required?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

I have gone through your baby's report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, you are right. Her CBC (complete blood count) is normal. EEG (electroencephalography), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of brain, and lumbar puncture can be done next to detect the type of seizure.

You should know that when a child has two or more seizures with no known cause, this is diagnosed as epilepsy and you should inform your child specialist if there was any incident that can trigger seizures as you think. Please record the video of your baby's seizure and provide that to your child specialist. Then, your specialist can easily diagnose the conditions that are responsible for seizure with co-relation of video and investigation results.

Is your baby suffering from fever now? Is there any history of delayed crying or respiratory distress or birth injury during birth?

| 

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »

There is a white mass above my teeth in MRI. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a brain MRI nine months ago. The report came back completely normal. I decided to look at the images last night and I noticed this bright white mass above my teeth. Either the mass is near my teeth or in my sinuses. I am worried that I have a tumor growing and it was looked over...  Read Full »

Are Absence Seizures Absolutely Risky?

Article Overview: Previously known as petit mal seizures, this type of seizure is more commonly seen in children. Let us read on to know how it can be managed effectively in everyday life. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

A seizure is caused by a brief period of abnormal electrical activity (electrical impulses) in a person's brain. An absence seizure has a generalized onset, meaning, it starts on both sides of the brain simultaneously. In this type, there is a sudden loss of awareness characterized by blank staring ...  Read Article