HomeAnswersDermatologysevere itchingHow to tell the difference between tinea cruris and STD symptoms?

I am suffering from tinea cruris (itching near scrotum). Please advise.


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 27, 2013
Reviewed AtFebruary 2, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am suffering from tinea cruris, itching near scrotum, for a very long time and left untreated. Now, I am losing my hairs from the left side of the scrotal area. I went to a doctor and he gave me a cream and a medicine for 10 days. After 10 days, I got relief and also hairs are growing back. Over two days, I had noticed some redness in the scrotum. It may be due to sweating in summer as I go to the gym. But, I am a little worried because when I checked online, I came to know it is one of the symptoms of STD. Please clear my doubt. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Meha Malhotra


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Tinea cruris is a fungal infection of the groin. It is possible that you may have got a recurrence of the same.

It would be of great help if you could tell me the medicine and cream that you have used and after how many days of stopping the medicine did the problem recur. Till then, you may apply Abzorb (Clotrimazole dusting powder) on the area of concern.

STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) do not remain silent for so long and additionally, you generally will have pus-filled lesions or discharge with STD.

Revert back with the name of the medicine to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Meha Malhotra
Dr. Meha Malhotra


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy