Q. Why has the color of my skin changed?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 27, 2022

After working out at a gym for three months, the color of my skin has changed. It is darker now as compared to earlier. I want to know the reason behind this and the solution of this problem too.

#

I can understand your concern very well, but let me make it very clear to you that working out in the gym will not have any sort of effect on skin color. Going to the gym is a step closer to a healthy life. Skin color is determined by melanin, a color pigment which is synthesized within melanocytes. Melanocytes are color-producing cells. They are very sensitive to sunlight.

Recent color change can be due to many reasons like,

1. Vitamin B12 deficiency seen in pure vegetarians.

2. Suntanning.

3. Certain medicines can turn skin darker.

4. Hormonal causes.

It is very difficult to prescribe medications without seeing your clinical picture. However, I would like to mention a few general skin care tips here:

1. Avoid sunlight and UV (ultraviolet) rays as much as possible. Even in cloudy weather, UV rays will be there. Use a good sunscreen with SPF (sun protection factor) 50, apply it 30 minutes before going out.

2. You need to drink two to three liters of water per day. It keeps your skin hydrated.

3. You need to eat fruits and vegetables containing vitamin A such as carrot, papaya, beetroot, muskmelon, pomegranate. All these have beta-carotene which is essential for the glow of the skin.

4. Regular exercise keeps the hormonal balance intact.

|